Thursday, January 27, 2011
"The Dead Grandmother/Exam Syndrome" Response
The article "The Dead Grandmother/Exam Syndrome" by Mike Adams is a witty article on the weird correlation between college student's taking an exam and the death of one's grandmother. I thought this article was well-written. I liked how the author used specific data to describe this theory in more depth. For instance, in paragraph four of the essay, the author writes, "the mean FDR (family death rate) jumps from 0.054 with no exam, to 0.574 with a mid-term, and to 1.042 with a final" (178). This gives the reader a good insight into how this theory is affected. Adams then goes on to correlate this data with tables and graphs. The tables and graphs creates an interesting relationship between stating what the mean number of family deaths (data) is and then showing this with the visual aspect of the provided graphs. The author does a decent job at trying to keep the audience in focus with what he is trying to say. I feel that he is writing to a mature and whimsical audience. The author is very specific, and Adams uses a humorous approach to this article. For example, I found it clever as he states in the last paragraph, "In the interim, the problem is clearly far too important to be ignored. Following the government's lead on so many similar, potentially catastrophic problems (global warming, the ozone layer, and ocean pollution), I propose that a commission be established to study the problem in more depth" (180). Overall, I felt the article created an interesting depiction of this creative theory.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment